is it possible to buy a printed version of this?
Barrow Keep: Den of Spies (Playtest)
A downloadable game
When you were young, you thought the great walls of Barrow Keep would keep you safe. But now you're coming of age, and you realize how many troubles have been inside these walls all along: duplicitous courtiers, treacherous kin, and puritanical heresy-hunters. How will you protect yourself and your friends?
Barrow Keep is a low-prep, old-school setting driven by playbooks and adaptable, easy-to-run scenarios. You play the young residents of the Keep, coming of age while dealing with mysteries, treacheries, and intrigues.
The playtest packet includes:
- Old School Essentials-compatible PC Playbooks for the Wielder, Ward, Hostage, Lost Familiar, Wolf, Spy, and Revenant, with custom class details for four new OSE classes (part of each playbook).
- Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells PC Playbooks for the Ward, Hostage, Lost Familiar, Wolf, Spy, and Revenant, with custom archetype details for several new Sharp Swords archetypes.
- The Wild Woods Ambassador Scenario with OSE and SS&SS compatible stats.
- Treacherous Kin Scenario with OSE and SS&SS compatible stats.
- The Keep Creation document with details and background for the three key NPCs of any game of Barrow Keep: the Consort, the Archon, and the Heir.
- You can preview the custom Old School Essentials/D&D BX Character Classes used to create the playbooks
- Check out the latest updates over on Kickstarter
What You Need!
- To run the Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells playtest materials, you'll need the rules for the first edition from Diogo Nogueira.
- To run the OSE playtest materials, you'll need the rules for Old School Essentials from Necrotic Gnome.
- You can get started with the OSE Basic Rules, which are free on the Necrotic Gnome Site or on DTRPG.
- As you move past Level 1, you'll need either the Boxed Set (from Necrotic Gnome in PDF or Print or from DTRPG) or the Rules Tome (from Necrotic Gnome in PDF or Print or from DTRPG).
- It's recommended you pick up a copy of the Advanced Fantasy Druid & Illusionist Spells (from Necrotic Gnome in Print or PDF or from DTRPG) during the playtest
- If you're on a budget, you can find most of the materials in the Necrotic Gnome SRD or the in the art-free text editions of each booklet on DTRPG.
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $9 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Support this game at or above a special price point to receive something exclusive.
Reserved PDF copies! These PDF copies are for students, supporters from marginalized communities, and those experiencing financial hardship. If you self-identify in one or more of those categories and need the discount, feel free to choose this level. These initial community copies were funded by our Kickstarter backers.
Anyone who tips $5 or more above the purchase price adds a community copy to the pool.
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Thanks for asking! I've got print versions going out to most Kickstarter backers in November. I'll probably set up a print purchase level in October when those are closer to going out so others can preorder and jump on that. Once those are out, I'll probably set this up with a PoD service.
Note, the print copy will just be the rules and setting information (which hasn't come out in playtest form yet). I won't be doing print versions of the playbooks and scenario packs for this round since they won't fit the scope of my fulfillment budget.